Check-boxes or Radio Buttons?
How do you choose between check-boxes and radio buttons? One is square and the other is round; which fits your event registration website? There is more to choosing than just looks or your favorite shape. Choosing the right option will decrease confusion for your registrants and increase the accuracy of your session selections.
Check-boxes in a group of sessions allow 1 or more to be selected while Radio Buttons allow only 1 selection.
- If you have sessions that occur on different dates OR at different times, then you will want to place them together in the same group AND use check-box selection – allows more than 1 to be selected .
- If you have more than one session that begins at the same time, then you will want to place them together in the same group AND use radio button selection.
How do I decide how to Group my Sessions?
Grouping your sessions correctly is the key to insuring that your registrants are not confused by the selection options. A couple of general rules:
- If you have sessions that start at the same time, make it impossible to register for more than one session – put all of these sessions in one group.
- If you have sessions that start at different AND non-overlapping times, then you will want to make it easy to pick as many as sessions as they want – put all of these sessions in one group.
- There cannot be check-boxes AND radio buttons in the same group.
- If you require attendance at a session, then this session should not be in a radio button group with other sessions.
- You can require attendance at the session level; however, …
- Do not place 2 sessions, each requiring attendance, in a group with radio buttons